Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #224

From: Brian Tickler <tickler_at_netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 17:46:38 -0700 (PDT)

> So I have him fight:
> Little Joey, a /cute 10 month old/, is [loved by all] for his [adorable
> cooing],
> in spite of the fact that when upset he can [clear a room by crying].
> His \4 year old brother\
> is really impressed by his [projectile vomiting], and once got a
> nosebleed when Joey
> [stuck his fingers up his nose]. He can [crawl pretty quickly], and his
> mom says he is [quite strong].
> He has [never been affected by magic], and [learns very quickly]. His
> long term goal is
> to (take off his diaper).
> so:
> Projectile vomit: 6/14
> stick fingers up someone else's nose: 6/14
> crawls pretty quickly: 8/12
> quite strong: 8/12
> - -...
> Do you want to fight? Strictly by the rules it is an even match.
> Although little Joey
> would beat Quackenbush in an arm wrestling match, as Quackenbush has no
> applicable
> skill.

You're touting this as a *good* thing? Interesting...

> On the other hand I don't look forward to arguing with my players
> about what their [creative] and [insightful] skills can and can't be
> applied to.
>
> - -mike

Yep...HW GMs will definitely need mastery of the "avoid weaseling" skill...

Player:
"Please...I don't have any other applicable skill...there must be a 'creative' way to scale this sheer cliff..."

GM:
"No way, that wouldn't be fair to the charcters who actually have 'climbing' skills..."

Player:
"But wait, you're letting Joe use 'agile' instead of climbing...that's not fair..."

GM:
"Well, technically you're right, but 'agile' is a lot more applicable than 'creative..."

Player:
"So where do you draw the line between 'applicable enough' and 'not applicable'..."

GM:
"Right here. I've made my ruling..."

Player:
"Based on?"

GM:
"Ummm..."

(and be prepared to answer for all past rulings of "applicability")

It just seems that for a system that proposes to expose a "new" player market, that what you're asking from GMs is far from easy.

Again, let me point out that there are pros and cons for everything I've seen described for HW, I'm just swirling the waters to expose the sediment here...