Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #227

From: Brian Tickler <tickler_at_netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 18:45:11 -0700 (PDT)

> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 08:23:40 +0100
> From: "Nick Brooke" <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
> Subject: Re: Minimaxing
>
> Hero Wars is not written for idiots. But it does include copious advice on
> how to deal with them. Brian and Steve have been treating the 100-word
> char-gen system with unjustified contempt -- I assume they have not read the
> playtest draft, which advises on what should and shouldn't be in a
> character's description, and on how GMs should adjudicate *exactly* this
> kind of minimaxing desperation.

Nick, Nick...you're reading emotions into my posts again. You might want to work on that. I have displayed no contempt. I merely posted a purposefully exaggerated, somewhat sarcastic, humorous jibe at the freeform character generation mechanic...surely HW as a rules system can survive this viscious onslaught. I know you have to coddle the baby, but you're smothering it :).

Also, I'm curious as to how you, of all people, read contempt into a post when it isn't there. Surely you've posted enough barbs and sarcastic comments on the opposite side of these discussions, tacked a smiley face on the end, and sent it them in, all the while considering them nothing more than a good-natured ribbing? Please extend me the same benefit of the doubt.

Someone (sorry, I deleted one line too many...):
> Is this the Glorantha digest or the "Lets be hypocrites and say it's the
> Glorantha digest, but pure mechanics discussions are permitted to
> dominate, but only if they're about HW, digest."?

You have to realize that the Glorantha digest is now (though not in the past) moderated by Chaosium. I don't think it would be fair to expect them to tolerate promotion of competing products here...underneath all the (very real, I'm sure) goodwill toward the fan base, this conflict of interest is bound to make some tangible differences to the way the digest was "run" before. It may be extremely small, but the bottom line is the bottom line.

Please note before the flaming starts, that I applaud Chaosium's sponsorship of this digest...there probably wouldn't have been strong enough backing/interest to have revived it as a standalone entity after the Glorantha/Runequest split without their intervention.

Now why do I think that this disclaimer is not going to help me out one whit? :)