The Four Fold Path

From: David Cake <dave_at_starfish.net.au>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 00:39:55 +0800

>Could someone give a quick recap of this? I never saw the original article
>that presented the four-fold scheme, and while I think I see the difference
>between a wargamer and a powergamer, I don't understand the difference between
>a roleplayer and a story teller.

        Poor Mark Mohrfield, never to have read this classic of gaming culture.
In the four fold path, RQ was chosen as the system to represent roleplaying (powergaming was D&D, of course, and wargamer was Chivalry and Sorcery, which dates it a bit). Storytellers do important, legendary, impressive and fascinating things, be it wooing maidens with a love that will be spoken of for centuries, or leading battalions in doomed tragic charges. Roleplayers just do... stuff. The roleplayer character was Timmy the Trollkin, whose greatest achievment was collecting teeth from all the major species of Praxian herd animal. In storyteller games, the GM tells you whats happening, and the plot is of great importance (on occasion overriding free will), in roleplayer games the players come up with ideas and occasionally the plot happens while they are making other plans.

        Ah, to this day in my gaming group anyone who hasn't named their character yet will have it temporarily christened G7 (a joke from the wargamer writeup - 'give me time, I'll think of a name').

        Cheers

                Davdi