Re: The Glorantha Digest

From: David Cake <dave_at_starfish.net.au>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 00:44:51 +0800

>> Don't fret; when the game actually comes out, a Hero Wars specific
>> list will be created.
>>
>> Shannon
>
>The question is, what happens to the Glorantha Digest at that point?
>Will Chaosium still frown on RQ content at that point? Will it even be
>around?
>
>Not accusations, but valid concerns, IMHO...
>
>- --
>Brian T. Tickler

        Brian, I can now reveal that your worst suspicions are true. In the Glorious new era of Hero Wars, anyone who talks about RuneQuest on the Glorantha Digest will be severely beaten with sticks by Chaosium shock troops. Either that or we get Nick, MOB, Jeff, and six cartons of beer round to your house at 2 in the morning. I'd advise the beating with sticks, if you get the choice.

        Actually, I imagine in the Hero Wars era you will be absolutely as welcome to post RuneQuest rules suggestions here as you are now (that is, of course you are welcome providing it is a question that is more appropriately discussed here than on the RQ-Rules list), but interest will gradually wane, and extrapolating from the RQ Rules to answer Gloranthan questions will be even less authoritative than it is now. I would assume Shannon plans to continue as he has been doing, and most of the time exercise benign neglect allow us to wallow in our own much, whatever that may be. Just recently, we have had actual RQ STATs posted, to no great outcry whatsoever.

>Please note before the flaming starts, that I applaud Chaosium's
>sponsorship of this digest...there probably wouldn't have been strong enough
>backing/interest to have revived it as a standalone entity after the
>Glorantha/Runequest split without their intervention.

        It was my understanding that the transfer of the Glorantha Digest to Chaosiums server occurred largely due to problems with Lorens former server, and that the Glorantha Digest had separated from the Runequest forums (rq-rules at that point) some time before, and that both had been going strong.

        I have been on this digest in some form or another for 9 years now (since Andrew Bells occasional missives in 1989), and I noticed no particular drop or growth in interest in the digest in moving from Loren to Shannons benign overlordship.

        Cheers

                David