Abstracted wargamers.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 19:45:04 +0100 (BST)

Richard Crawley says:
> To paraphrase Slartibartfast, "I know nothing of this four-
> fold role-player scheme of which you speak, Earthman"
> and little more of Hero Wars I might add, but as a role-
> player who is more often a wargamer these days (when the
> kids allow) I think wargamers will accept more abstraction
> than you might expect!

That's likely true. In many ways RPGs are much _more_ complex and obsessed with "concrete" modelking than wargames. I can only observe that I wasn't speaking about yer _actual_ wargamers, but of the characterisation of a "(stereo)type" of RPGer as "Wargamer" by the aforementioned four-fold scheme. As others have explained this elsewhere, I won't bother doing so again. (Nick's Four-Fold Abuse seemed especially fair-minded, though, I shall pause to say in passing, however.)

Slainte,
Alex.