Cults, Dispelling Magic, etc.

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 18:20:02 EDT

Oh dear, I'd rather hoped to avoid talking about HW for a while, but I couldn't let the following go by without comment:

Kevin Rose:

<< But that has something to do with HW not having cult writeups.>>

    I sincerely hope this isn't so, since I think the game would be much the poorer without them. Of course, they wouldn't look very much like the RQ ones, since there's a lot less mechanics to describe, but I'll be very disappointed if they've been done away with altogether (aside, presumably, from a short description of the relevant Keyword)... :-(

And, since I'm here...

David Cake:

<<Cancel any magic will not actually be allowed as something that you can just
write into your character description>>

     Interesting, as somebody said exactly the opposite some time ago, assuring us that any character could write the "Cancel Any Magic" ability - which is, after all, no worse than good old Dispel Magic - into their description when someone queried this. I assume this is a case of the game evolving before our eyes rather than pro-HW digesters saying whatever they think the "undecideds" want to hear most :-)

Jane:

<<FWIW, my character generation system for years has been "tell me about your
character, and their family. Then I'll invent some numbers to describe them".

100 words? Only 100? One player presented me with chapters 1-5 of beautiful fiction!>>

    I entirely agree with this, and would actually find it extremely difficult to write a mere 100 words describing a character...

I'll try and shut up again now.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky