Rules discussions & character play

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 15:41:54 +0100

Brian Tickler Re. acceptance of HW discussion over RQ.

>Ok, not too big of a difference, but there nonetheless. It's a minor
>conflict of interest, analogous to Wizards of the Coast running the
>Duelist's Convocation...

Except that RQ _does_ have a mailing list _specificaly_ for discussing it's rules, and Hero Wars does not. Also note that nobody has objected to discussions of th RQ rules when it is specificaly in the context of Glorantha. Both points you seem to be deliberately refusing to acknowledge.

>Ah, but in my games, those latter 2 "skills" would just be things that
>the character "plays through"...why waste a skill on knowing the
>chief's secrets when you can just find them out in-game without >using
a skill at all?

It all depends on how much you want to controll how the players generate their characters. Also, it's assuming that you (as GM) had intended the chief's secrets to be a feature in the game.

>If this is allowed, why not "knows how to kill Crimson Bat with 3
>rapid blinks"?

A combat ability that only works against the crimson bat, has to be raised independently of any other combat skill, and starts at 6/14. No problem.

>One sign of being a poor player is when someone
>can pick up your own character sheet, glance at it, then kill you with
>a copy of your own character that you've been playing for 10 years
>:)...

I wouldn't call someone a poor player just because they weren't interested in optimising rules mechanics. By that measure most of the players in my current Gloranthan campaign are 'poor', although I'd rate them as some fo the best players I've gamed with.

Si