RE: The Glorantha Digest

From: Loren Miller <loren_at_wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 14:00:39 -0400

David Cake <dave_at_starfish.net.au> spreads oil on the waters:
> Actually, I imagine in the Hero Wars era you will be absolutely as
> welcome to post RuneQuest rules suggestions here as you are now (that is,
> of course you are welcome providing it is a question that is more
> appropriately discussed here than on the RQ-Rules list)

This is what I understand too. The first time I ever heard of any official "disapproval" of RQ rules being posted to the Glorantha Digest was in Brian Tickler's leading question and Shannon's reply. Sure, Chaosium doesn't own RQ any more. But do they intend to prevent us from adapting "Clue" or "Snakes & Ladders" to Glorantha and posting the results on the digest, or using any other rules we might care to use with Glorantha and posting the results? I think not.

> It was my understanding that the transfer of the Glorantha Digest
> to Chaosiums server occurred largely due to problems with Lorens former
> server, and that the Glorantha Digest had separated from the Runequest
> forums (rq-rules at that point) some time before, and that both had been
> going strong.

Exactly true. Remember the history. First Andrew Bell started "The RuneQuest Digest", which was full of edited articles much along the lines of a purely electronic version of TotRM. Then Henk Langeveld took over the Digest and added an unmoderated version called "The RuneQuest Daily", that bundled up and sent out all the messages in a day. Henk expressed interest in letting someone else take over the list, and I did, and when I did I read the handwriting on the wall. It was clear that RuneQuest and Glorantha were on opposite sides of an unbridgeable, rapidly widening chasm. So I split up the RuneQuest Daily into the Glorantha Digest, for primarily lozengial content, and the RuneQuest Rules list and digest, for primarily rules content and also for Alternative Earth and other gameworld content. There have been various attempts to create moderated forums based on all that traffic, successfully on the web, unsuccessfully in mailing lists. It has been about 5 or 6 years since Glorantha and RuneQuest were severed at the mailing list level. It's not a new thing. Also note that when I had to shut down the mailing lists two years back, Shannon took over ownership of the Glorantha Digest within a week, but it took about a year for Tal Meta to offer to start up a new RuneQuest Rules list. It is a tribute to Tal Meta (thanks Aaron) that his list has done as well as it has, primarily because he's posting RQ cults for most of the Greyhawk deities.

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #235