Catching up, feminine bits

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 21:56:54 +0100

Sorry, this "real life" thing keeping getting in the way. I read this lot Tuesday and promised myself I'd re-read once I had time. And yes, it was worth it. In between the HW arguments there's still good stuff on the Digest.

Pam gave me some arguments for giving Vinga bows and horses.
> ...a bow, perhaps Elmal taught her after she bested him somehow.
> Or perhaps he taught her to help her defend Orlanth's Stead.
That last sounds good to me, and can tie in with my own stated reason for his lending her the Horse. ("Some say that he hoped it would bear her from battle even more quickly than it took her to it, .."). Obviously she'd be safer standing behind the palisade shooting arrows than she would be in the shield wall, right? He was still trying to protect her. OK, so once she'd learnt the bow she started sneaking out doing guerilla warfare with it: how could Elmal have predicted that?

> Perhaps she's the one who defeated Kargzant, tied him down and out a
> bit in his mouth?

Maybe. I have a vague memory of Steve Martin producing a myth that had Yelorna doing this (and being confused between Yelm and Kargzant before-hand). Whether this is for or against Vinga having a similar myth I'm not sure. I thought Hyalor would have done it if anyone, but maybe Vinga helped. (Hyalor took out the Horse, Vinga took out the Rider? So to break your horse you still need Hyalor, but to ride it afterwards Vinga will do?)

Pam then tries to prove to me that being female in a Yelmie society is fun, with an example where the women run things from behind the scenes, and the men do the adventuring. Sorry, Pam. Failed. When I'm gaming, the adventuring bit is what I want to do. It sounds better as a place to live, but not to game.

Then in the same gem of a Digest we have Sergio's "cameos". Wow. If that's what you call a cameo, I'd love to see your idea of a scenario, or even a campaign! Consider both of them adopted. I doubt if I could run them as they stand due to a lack of female players, but as situations for the party to run into they'd be great.

Jeff does his best to confuse me about Berenneth:
> Berenneth worshipped the gods of the Orlanthi. Orlanth's son Vingkot
> was his father-in-law and king.

So? Father-in-law, not father. Berenneth was a foreigner, joining Vingkot's people and bringing his own people, gods, horses and red hair with him. Who did he worship, before meeting Vingkot and acknowledging that Orlanth was king over the lot of them? Sounds awfully Solar to me!

Bryan on Vinga's parentage:
> Vinga's father is Umath. I've even got a myth to that effect. I deny
> one-true-worldism.

There are also myths to show that her father is Orlanth, of course. Obviously, her father is the current holder of the Air rune this week (please, let the RG lose the battle for the middle air!).
There's even a myth from Ralios(?) about how Vinga PROVES that Orlanth is her father. Given that most deities just take their parentage for granted, isn't all this Proof a bit suspicious? Ernalda's her mother all right, and she was (probably) married to Orlanth at the time Vinga appeared, but....?

While I'm picking on good bits, that Ernaldan hearth-stone was great! With one of those in every home, who needs to know how to keep a fire going in the wilds? Only your adventurers: and where did they learn? He he - me, nasty to players?

Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/