Hero Battles

From: David Cake <dave_at_starfish.net.au>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 10:25:36 +0800

>There's a question - there used to be a lot of discussion about the
>WarHamster rules for simulating larger scale combats - how would this work
>in HW (pardon me for being a wargamer):)

        The HW draft as of now includes rules for being a participant in a battle, an abstracted system something like the Pendragon Battle rules.

        There are not currently rules for playing out a large battle strategically (like WarHamster). Actually, I think it would be pretty damn easy to do, due to one useful feature of Hero Wars - 10 warriors with combat 8/12 are effectively the same as one unit at 8/120 (this is because an attack in Hero Wars can cause bad consequences to the attacker as well, so number of attacks is not a crucial factor as in RQ (or just about any other RPG, for that matter)).

        So personally, I think a set of mass combat rules for Hero Wars would be easy to do, and pretty cool. Of course, not to everyones taste, but I like the idea. I like the idea quite a bit, and I think something like this was vaguely planned when Stratelibri where still involved (them being mini makers and all).

        A set of minis rules would include things like terrain mods, fancy missile rules, tactical magic use, etc. This would probably satisfy those who might find Hero Wars combat a little dull, but without necessarily making any difference to actual character sheets - which is sort of an ideal, and kind of fits in with the Hero Wars philosophy of different sorts of contests depending on how much importance you attack to it.

        But this is all highly speculative stuff, and its not really appropriate to be suggesting extensions to a game that hasn't been published, so I'll stop now.

        Cheers

                David