Windy Arrows

From: Simon Phipp <simon.phipp_at_walshwestern.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 12:54:20 +0000

Steve Lieb:

> I think one has to note that meterologically, England
> and northern France (the only places where archers DOMINATED) are
> pretty darn calm.

England calm? Compared to Ireland maybe, but come over on a typical Autumn day and you'll see there is a fair amount of wind about.

The Mongols decimated an army of Belted Knights in Poland with their archery.
I don't know if that is windy as I've never been.

Kevin Rose:
>I think the Chinese, the Russians, the Poles and the Hungarians would
>dispute that only the english had effective bows. The Monglos did
>quite a number on them, but they also tended to campaign in mid-winter
>(So the rivers were frozen solid). I may be mistaken, but I think that
>most Russian and Northern European winters are not characterized by
>calm gentle breezes.

I don't know about Europe but (ha!) I lived in Russia for a few months and experienced half a Winter there. Everyone I spoke to about the weather (and being English, that was quite a few people) claimed that Russia was generally not as cold as England in winter because it was not windy. (My wife concurs - Russia is not as windy as England or Ireland.) Personaly, I thought that 20 Celcius below was cold enough, wind or no wind.

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #238