many things PLUS a free plug!

From: Steve Lieb <styopa_at_iname.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 15:29:03 -0500

Pam depresses me again, with only an "offhand" remark:
>Oh - and you CAN die in Hero Wars. Just fight somebody with lots of
>mastery (like Count Julan), and fail while he gets a big success with a 30
>point bet. Poor Dan McClusky's Uroxi was atomized by taking a 90 point
>hit.

Egad, it's THAT easy? Well, I'm sure that's a relief for all the people who would normally die from such mundane things as being stabbed by a pitchfork, fall off a horse, childbirth, drowning, falling from a haymow, being burned, freezing etc. etc. As long as they're not facing a hero, they're safe!

Now apparently they will all only end up (to paraphase an earlier poster) "bruised and tired."

Pam, you're NOT encouraging me....(whether that was your point or not!) :)
>Incidentally, I knew Jane Williams would crack about being a God
>Learner. The fact that she knows so much about Vinga's height and weight
>is a big pointer that she knows more than she should...
Maybe she was already switched!!!! Aaagh!

>England calm? Compared to Ireland maybe, but come over on a typical
>Autumn day and you'll see there is a fair amount of wind about.
You're talking to someone living on the great plains. Bah with your poofy breezes. Anyway, the campaign season is SUMMER. If it's windy in October, that's less significant. Additionally, I'd point out that Wales was heavily forested as was most of England (at that time) - going back to my point about "sheltered" conditions...

>The Mongols decimated an army of Belted Knights in Poland with their
>archery.
>I don't know if that is windy as I've never been.
Don't even recognize the event - email me privately please!

>that Russia was generally not as cold as England in winter because it
>was not windy. (My wife concurs - Russia is not as windy as England or
>Ireland.) Personaly, I thought that 20 Celcius below was cold enough,
>wind or no wind.

Heh. I would have said it had more to do with humidity - that's the real "feel" of cold. You have a Russia (say 30% RH) with -10C and an England of 0C (with 90%+ RH), England feels MUCH colder. I'll invite you over when the mercury hits -40C (usually at least week or two each year). Then with only a little breeze you get -60C windchill. Now THAT'S weather.

Of course, you *could* check out my Gloranthan weather (still in alpha) program (plug, plug) and get the *real* scoop on gloranthan weather!!! find it at: http://www.remotepoint.com/styopa/glorantha.htm

Make sure you install to c:\weather. That's in the readme, but it's kinda too late once it's unpacked, ain't it?
- -Steve Lieb
styopa_at_iname.com
steve_at_necadon.com
http://surf.to/styopa