Re: -placing messy realism?

From: madamx_at_mikka.net.au
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 1998 14:01:41 +1000

Pete Nash got me thinking & Adept's <snip> "*ouch* Reminds me of the AD&D style of avoiding all that messy realism of a more primitive world... just replace electricity and plumbing with"magic"" <snip> got me writing. - - All these little sacrifices would place a large drain on everyones magical reserves (however they come to be simulated) thus limitting the number of "spirit magic" spells available to those that are generally useful in daily life plus a "biggie" or two from the various Gods (ie divine M) to deal with major raids, low fertility etc. Adventurers, not having to propitiate all these spirits would have greater reserves with a comensurate increase in available spells. Cattle raiding (or other neighbour bashing activity) may then require prepatory time being spent in the wilds to build magical reserves. Indeed any major magical activity would. Perhaps this gives another justification to the "lone Kolating". All in all I feel that regular propitiation of the various spirits of the Tula will increase the messiness but more in line with a Gloranthan instead of RW realism.

Darvall.
Madamx_at_mikka.net.au
>From quiet homes & first beginnings,

Out to the undiscovered ends,
There's nothing worth the wear of winning, But laughter & the love of friends. Hilaire Belloc