the cruel arrows of contrition

From: styopa_at_iname.com
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 23:52:13 -0500

Alex appropriately chastises:
>Steve Lieb helpfully opens:
>> Kevin doesn't read my post carefully enough:
>Anyhoo, my basic point is the above sort of ad hominem commentary
>isn't useful as anything other than flamebait, I'd suggest.

Mea culpa. Irony doesn't carry well over email and I get sick of putting in smileys everywhere.
Consider it a (failed) attempt at clever humor. It certainly wasn't meant as a serious criticism of anyone's comprehension.

>> Anyway I wasn't discussing whose bows were effective, I was discussing
>> DOMINANCE on the order of that exhibited by English (Welsh) Longbowmen, who
>> psychologically transfixed military thought for several centuries.
>
>I just don't see how this statement bears up. What do you mean by
[snip]
Sigh. Never mind. It's off topic enough for me to throw para's of RW historical info in here anyway.
Suffice to say:
there seems to be no dominant* foot archer culture in Glorantha, for WHATEVER reason (except possibly the maidstone archers, but there aren't many of them), and IMO the Pentans, while probably pretty good archers, are more notable for their tactics than their archery. *in terms of "every army wants to have some of them because everyone thinks they are awesome"

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #241