Re: dead godlets

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 1998 17:25:32 EDT

Jane:

<< Come to think of it, while these gods were defeated and reduced to minor spirit status, I wonder who they were related to, before? Maybe they have surviving family? (Who might not acknowledge them, of course). All this stuff is FUN, not something to
 just dismiss! (I wonder where that fire-controling spirit in the hearth came from? A former, now captive, Solar deity?) >>

     Mahome, presumably. She is the goddess of the hearth, and known to be worshipped by the Orlanthi. A former solar deity/member of the fire tribe (she's Lodril's daughter) she joined Ernalda's household when she married Barntar. I'm not sure whether she'd regard herself as captive, but she certainly converted from the Orlanthi POV. I believe she is still worshipped by the Dara Happans too - and presumably not as Barntar's wife. IIRC, her worshippers are home-makers, especially farmer's wives. Her relationship to Ernalda is broadly analgous to that between Orlanth and Barntar.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky