I shot an arrow in the air...

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 1998 02:26:28 +0100 (BST)

Jane Williams:
> If I understand all these technical discussions, one of the problems
> being put forward for Orlanthi using bows is the effect of the wind.
> [...] But in Glorantha - remind me, who's the god of the wind?

Doesn't that rather confirm the point? ("Hoi, Orlanth! Hold it down a bit while I use this 'ere solar weapon, that's right, the one ole Yelm tried his luck with on yerself, to shoot my next door neighbour." "***WHHHHHHHAAAAAAATTTTTTT?????!!!!!***")

Maybe this is the _real_ reason those sneaky elves are so narked off with the Orlanthi. A right pain in the arse while you're trying to kill someone with a "cowardly arrow" from a distance, though surely much less of a problem for mass volleys of arrow. ("Thataway.")

> How do you think the Orlanthi version of SureShot, Speedart etc. work?

I scarely dare imagine, through chronic apprehension of being "Hero Wars"'d.

Steve Lieb isn't impressed by claims that England might have the odd wind or two:
> You're talking to someone living on the great plains. Bah with your poofy
> breezes. Anyway, the campaign season is SUMMER. If it's windy in October,
> that's less significant.

Your original point suggested what a problem a 10mph wind might be to an archer, so presumably your comment about England and France being "calm" was to be read in that context. If you think such winds are rare in northern europe, I can only refer you to the location of the north atlantic depression track. (Appropriately named, in more ways than one.)

Not many hurricanes, admittedly. One need only worry about these when a BBC "meteorologist" tells one that there's no danger of that happening at all.

> Additionally, I'd point out that Wales was
> heavily forested as was most of England (at that time) - going back to my
> point about "sheltered" conditions...

I don't think many decisive archery engagements have been fought inside forests, Robin Hood notwithstanding.

Anyway, before I beat Steve over the head with any more quibbles, I think my basic point is that I feel very uneasy about arguments that say, to unduly paraphrase, that well, maybe the RW was like that, but _of course_ Glorantha is completely different, due to some cod magical effect, _utterly_ different ambient conditions, or whathaveyou. Sure, Glorantha is Made Up, but it's made up out of people's heads, and FGS and most of the Digest haven't been living on _Mars_ for the last 32 years. (I hope.)

> Heh. I would have said it had more to do with humidity - that's the real
> "feel" of cold. You have a Russia (say 30% RH) with -10C and an England of
> 0C (with 90%+ RH), England feels MUCH colder.

I don't think that's true (either the sample numbers, or the perceived effect), though certainly actual _rain_ (now with free added wind, most likely), fog (freezing or otherwise), etc will make you feel a lot more miserable. (As will mortgage repayments and Monday mornings, granted.)

> Of course, you *could* check out my Gloranthan weather (still in alpha)
> program (plug, plug) and get the *real* scoop on gloranthan weather!!!
> find it at: http://www.remotepoint.com/styopa/glorantha.htm

No you won't. ;-) I'd suggest, rather:

http://www.remotepoint.com/~styopa/Glorantha.htm

Slainte,