Identifying gods

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 00:18:51 +1300 (NZDT)

Sergio Mascarenhas:

After correcting me about Vasco, comments:

Me>>Well they do. Identifying Kahar as Orlanth or Balumbasta as
>>Lodril would cause nobody problems. What causes more
>>problems is implying that the god of [despised ethnic group]
>>is the same god as your own god. Saying that Kargzant is
>>the Sun God Yelm is looking for trouble in Dara Happa.

>Sorry Peter, but I doubt that an Orlanthi would think that his god, the god
>of gods, can be confounded with some godling of a distant place, specialy
>when comparing Orlanthi religious practices with those of that strange
>people.

But this sort of thing did happen in the Real World. In classical times, the Indians were said by the Greeks to have worshipped Dionysus (Krishna), the Germans were said by Tacitus to have worshipped Mercury (Wotan), Hercules (Donar) and Mars (Tiu). There was a sense of 'when in Rome, live as the Romans do' which operated then as opposed to the scholarly approach of the christians which tended to emphasize the differences.

FWIW Kahar is not a Godling but a powerful storm god whose actions sank a major part of Vithela. Balumbasta is the Doraddi Father of the Mountains.