Stuff on bows & Vormain

From: danny bourne <d.bourne_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 20:27:01 +0100

>And it does have to be pointed out, that for all the way the longbow is
>portrayed as a wonder weapon, the English lost the Hundred years war.

That wasn't because of the longbow, that was to do with politics, economics & logistics (plus the fact that after Crecy we were stupid enough to ransom the French aristocracy rather than put them to the sword)

The English
>longbow is a tactically very limited weapon, as it only really works
>wonders in a prepared defensive postion that is attacked by idiots. All
>infantry missile troops have severe limitions in that they can only
>defend. They cannot force cavalry to fight them.

But by the same token cavalry alone can't hold a battle field. Missile infantry can continually drive them away with a slow advance with a form-and-fire routine if the cavalry try to get in close.

re: various other bow bits.

Someone mentioned about wind being a problem (obviously you too play troll & trollkin) when it comes to archery. In actual fact, you'd be surprised at closeish ranges how little difference wind makes unless it's fairly strong (blustery conditions however are more problematic). This is because of the velocity of an arrow being fired from a 90 pound pull bow (which is about what the 'famed' longbow was).

Another thing that people under-estimate is just how powerful an arrow is. A common 60 pound hunting bow now will easily put an arrow through a brick wall at a surprising distance IN THE HANDS OF A SKILLED USER.

Many moons ago I was stupid enough to learn the basics of arrow dodging (basically I stood in a field wearing a flak jacket while someone fired arrows at me to dodge. Clever huh?)

You'd be surprised how easy it is to dodge an arrow, as long as you're prepared for the ground rush effect as it gets real close, but the thing that most interested me was afterwards when the guy put my jacket up against the wall, walked back 80-100 yards or so (I think, memory's a bit hazy) & pinned it to the wall with an arrow (not at his first attempt, however). Now that was a bow with a 50 pound pull, imagine what a 90 pound bow could do.

VORMAIN
> If Vormain is Nippon, the bow must be a fundamental weapon.

Best person to ask is Duncan 'And lo, I am incapable of original thought' Rowlands who originally designed a whole chunk of original stuff on Vormain, originally. (Did a good write up on Black Fang & Pavis too, with some other guy who's name slips my unreliable memory)