Gloranthan armies

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 21:31:01 +1300 (NZDT)

Steve Lieb:

>I think you are being too limited. I see a few more (including yours on my
>list) listed as [archetype] generic name (examples/description):
>[Lunar] infantry (although I would say the Lunars are more cohort-tactics,
>while Yelmies are phalanx-tactics)

The Lunars and the Yelmies are practically the same (it's like distinguishing between Russia and the Soviet Union). The backbone of the Lunar Empire is Ye Olde Dara Happa and some peoples (like Orlanthi) do not see a meaningful distinction between the two.

Hence the lunars would be phalanxes (in addition to their peltasts, slingers and assorted cavalry, avilry and artillery chariots). I dunno where cohorts are in glorantha. It may be the Kingdom of War or Safelster...

>[Western Knights] (shock Heavy Cav/Cataphracts)

They are not exclusively cavalry. Not even the French at Agincourt were. AFAIK the Loskalmi only have one cavalry regiment that is capable of shock tactics and only knightly regiments are really heavy cavalry.

>[Pentan/Praxian] light shock cav/light cav missile troops

Depends on what you mean by 'light shock'. Being run over by Bison or Rhino Riders would cause many to crap in their pants at the mere thought of what heavy shock was...

But to further communication on both sides, it might be helpful to look at a couple of articles on David Dunham's Website

http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/aow.html and http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/gaow.html

to see where I coming from or to put forward the definitions of light, heavy etc before attempting to describe troop types. It seems that by light, you are including the armour of the combatant. Under such a scheme, however, the Macedonian Phalanx would be classified as light because the hoplites gave up their breastplates in order to carry around their new and improved pikes. Which would be absurd.

>[Orlanthi/Trollish] Warbands (ala the Celts/Gauls)

The Orlanthi and Uz do not fight in the same manner. The Uz attack by darkness or use ambushes and use hordes of trollkin first. The Orlanthi are incapable of or shun these tactics. Furthermore merely calling them celtic warbands ignores whether they have infantry or cavalry.

>[Afadjann] Medium Archers (mobile, organized non-skirmish missile troops)

Leaving aside the question of exactly what is meant by organized mobile non-skirmishing archers, the Afadjanni would also have elephantoids and heavy infantry. Plain cavalry is rare. All the mobility in the world isn't going to prevent foot archers/peltasts from being stomped on by a charging mastodon.