Gloranthan Army Lists for HOTT

From: richardc_at_sypte.co.uk
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 15:33:35 +0000

As I've pointed out before an HOTT element can represent a variable number of men, The rules work equally well assuming a couple of bases of spears are a company from the Granite Phalanx as they do if they represent the entire regiment (legion or whatever?)

Try fighting battles like the action at the Hill of Orlanth Victorious where a Lunar column of mixed types sets out to subdue a smaller group of Orlanthi rebels (WF'notes certainly, poss WF'prints?)

My army lists are therefore somewhat different - a selection follows:

_Sartarite Tribesmen_
(stronghold - Palisaded village)

Blade General (Tribal chief and huscarls) Warbands (Tribesmen) (most common unit type) Psiloi (youths with slings, javelins)
Riders (mounted tribesmen) (few, many if Elmali) Magicians (Orlanthi priests)

Blades (Humakti, Uroxi, possibly Vingans?), Flyers (Sylphs etc as per DLP's lists)

My Sartarites also include a unit of Blades (Humakti Duck standard guard)

_Dwarf Expeditionary Force_
(stronghold - Mountainside gateway but probably the aggressor
when out pacifying the local area to allow essential maintenance to the World Machine)

No General - all military operations carried out according to previously established work schedules which provide for instructions in the event of any foreseeable malfunction of the surface part of the World Machine

Blades (Mostali with axes, hammers etc=2E) Shooters (Mostali with crossbows, gunnes, explosive bowling balls etc=2E) Artillery (Cannon cult)
Behemoths (Jolanti)
Beasts (Gnomes) (seems the best option)

Option:
Magician (Alchemical Transformer)

_Lunar Column_
(stronghold - Roman-style marching fort)

Blade General (Lunar noble with bodyguard) Pikes (company of hoplites)
Peltasts (company of peltasts)
Shooters (Thunder Delta Slingers)
Riders (Lunar cavalry or Sable riders)
Magicians (company from the Lunar College of Magic)

Airboat (Moonboat as per Strangers in Prax) Warbands (Broo), Blades (scorpion men) or Riders (Tusk Riders) if the political situation has changed from occupation to outright war!

_Balazaring War Party_
(stronghold - tribal ground with totem skulls on poles)

Warbands (tribesmen)
Lurkers (bow-armed hunters in woods)
Beasts (hunting dogs)

Spears (Citadel Warriors), Peltasts (Lunars, if Elkoi), Shooters (Elves, if Dykene), Blades (Dwarves, if Trilus), Flyers (Hawk Riders, if Dykene)
(all these IIRC)

Generally speaking I agree with David's categorisation on the personalities (actually I did go for God =3D Superhero) any of whom could be added to the above lists

BTW I've added troop types from DBA which seem necessary:

Psiloi (Shooters seem more like the English longbow type we can't seem to find many of in Glorantha)

Pikes (to distinguish Lunar Hoplites or Sun Domers from, say, the Black Horse Auxiliaries or Sartar City Militia)

Peltasts (lighter infantry which doesn't necessarily have the Warband's impetuosity)