Poor Lunars

From: Jose Ramos <jose_at_kobo.es>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 19:13:48 +0200

        I have never said the Lunars have only infantry (as Peter implies), but that they lack dedicated missile troops (a problem the Republican Romans also faced, as Crassus found against the Parthians). Peltasts or Javelin armed cavalry does not count, as their range is too short. That is why the romans introduced the darts as a legionnary weapon. The term dart wars would indicate that at least the Lunars know of the weapon, although IMG it remains a Carmanian weapon.

        BTW, anyone has Lunar Regiments with darts as anti-cavalry weapons? Although lacking in effective range, that must ruin any javelin cavalry's day. IMG only the horali (who cannot use other, newer weapons), the carmanians and the jonating highlanders (throwing heavy, all metal darts, like the almughavars) use darts frequently.

        Concerning the quality of Western infantry, any army that relies on shock cavalry does not face frequently foes with good close order infantry, as close order infantry is the best remedy for cavalry charges. So as the West fights mainly against itself... (set piece battles, I mean).

        The Loskalmi infantry is supposedly better, but I suspect they suffer from an inferiority complex, as they are purely auxiliary, used mainly in close terrain and sieges. The glory and the decision in battle lies on the knights. Unfortunately for them.

        Finally, for the Dara Happan bows, I agree the bow is the sacred Yelmie weapon, and any good Yelmie will use it when hunting, or using the Solar equivalent of Zen archery (after staring long to the sun?). But you will not field a whole regiment of Nobles, unless the city is under siege. So for war you have your faithful lodrilites, with their sacred weapons (Spears!) led by a few yelmite officers, who will not have the time or the inclination to use their bows.

        Bow using heroes yes, bow regiments no. Except in city defense, one more difficulty in cracking the Tripolis.

Jose

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #246