Re: Red Army

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 16:10:32 EDT

Peter Metcalfe on the Lunar Army:

<< The Lunar
 army is very varied, has a wide variety of troop types and has  done so ever since the Dawn.

I agree but....

Just to be pedantic, the Lunar army didn't exist until 1220. At this point it was a ragtag army, with what appear to be well disciplined (possibly just well motivated) infantry, probably militia from Torang. This army defeated the Char Un and they swore loyalty. This would be the first real cavalry. So there are discipline infantry led by a rebel Carmanian warlord (Yanafal) with Pentan cavalry and any mercenaries that SHE could get her hands on. (oh, and the Bat, and lots of Magic). Next we get Dara Happa rebelling etc and eventually submitting to the Red Emporer, picking up all these funny places in between (Eol for example). Then we get Sheng Seleris, then Moonson regroups at Kitor for another Carmanian military adventure. I think the Empire would be pragmatic enough to use any troops that it can. I think that it would initially had a "start of the Roman rebublic civic duty" feel to it, followed by a "we use Carmanian ruthlessness and are professional soldiers" period and eventually a "Late Roman Empire, we'll use any troops as long as they get a hair cut" feel.

On cavalry, I note that only the Carmanians had heavy cavalry in the first wane. I feel that this situation would have continued until at least 1300 (possibly something to do with the Char Un Great Horse being flayed by Orlik Bearface???).

Keith Nellist