Re: Bow Matters

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 01:57:34 +0100 (BST)

Jose Ramos suggests:
> If Vormain is Nippon, the bow must be a fundamental weapon. Indeed,
> in battle it will be more deadly than the famous swords.

Vormain is famous for swords? ;-) How far the "Nippon" analogue is to be taken seems to be the top Bone of Contention anytime Vormain is discussed (and one that won't be resolved, other than very slowly, and case by case).

For my money though, yes, Vorumai warrior-nobles often use great bows, of some sort or another.

> As concerns the only Vorumaini that foreigners meet (pirates), they
> should have less firepower, as Great Bows are a prerrogative of nobility.

As the Generic Vorumai Pirate is a Tsankthi barracuda worshipper, I'm not sure they use bows significantly at all. Just not as _tasty_ as devouring one's foes alive, really. There may be distinct groupings who use them more, though, like the Fog Pirates.

> Small units of Rathori mercenaries are probably widespread in Fronela.

Hrm. I have my doubts about this, though I won't go so far as to say it'd be totally unheard of. After all, agimori pikers would be _dashed_ handy to Dragon Pass armies, but they do not seem to be at all "widespread", to use another example of a "primitive" culture.

Slainte,
Alex.

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #247