carmanian jakaleel

From: Loren Miller <loren_at_wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 07:06:47 +0000

Nick Brooke's page on Carmanian attitudes is an important resource for this question. I quote:

    Carmanian attitude toward Lunars: The Red Moon embodies the Balance     between Light and Darkness as she moves both visibly and invisibly     through her Seven Phases. Her Point of Balance is as dangerous and     holy as the Sword Bridge of old, and we may attain Paradise by     walking along it, always perceiving the Truth of our place and our     actions. There are mystics and visionaries in the Empire who move     blindly and instinctively to achieve their higher fate, but embracing     such insanity has never been the Carmanian Way: we know where we     stand, we comprehend the reasons for our actions, and we move     consciously towards our ultimate aims. Thus we can perceive the True     Lunar Faith beneath the multitudinous masks and illusions of the Red     Goddess more swiftly and surely than her other followers, and act     decisively and with purpose to further the Lunar Way.

It is possible for a traditional Carmanian Vizir who has graduated from one of the remaining Magisteries to initiate into a temple to Jakaleel the Witch, the Spindle Hag. Now the question would be, how does a traditional Carmanian female become a vizir, go to a Magistery, and finally initiate into Jakaleel? She doesn't. Either her family is not traditional, meaning that all bets are off and she can do anything that any Lunar family could do and more, since Carmanians have no knee-jerk antipathies against "evil" cults such as Jakaleel... or her family is traditional and she rebelled young, donned the White Robes of the Warrior, and ran away to a Lunar College of Magic. There must be a few of them on the western side of the Oronin River.

The important things to remember about the Carmanian point of view are that

  1. Kindness and Cruelty are two edges of the same sword
  2. it is the same with Light and Darkness
  3. Instant Decision Making is the necessary crucible by which Moral Understandings are tested and insanity and other weaknesses exposed

The problem that most Carmanians would have with Jakaleel is her cult's tendency to embrace insanity. Insanity is a sure route to Error. "It might be what those Loonies like, but it's not the way that we are. We are Carmanians, our eyes open, our minds clear of distractions, awake and aware, and through conscious strategies, tactics, decisions, and the responsibility for our own actions we shall triumph yet again."

Loren Miller <loren_at_wharton.upenn.edu> "If men cease to believe that they will one day become gods then they will surely become worms." --Henry Miller, "The Colossus of Maroussi"