Orlanthi military culture

From: Richard, Jeff <Jeff.Richard_at_metrokc.gov>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 10:22:50 -0700

Hi-

Peter writes:
>>I rather think the gallic warbands used ambushes (anyone recognize
>>the name Teutoburger Wald?) to some good effect, as would the Orlanthi.
>Uz ambush tactics are more heinous than the Orlanthi. They use
>tactics which would challenge Orlanthi notions of honor and bravery.
>"Old Man Rastagar, the bravest man in his time, used a shadow spell
>and cut his enemies's throats as they slept..."

Perhaps, although I would like to point out that Orlanthi have at times had nothing against ambushing armies while in passes, exposed positions, decamping, etc. As a general rule of thumb, an Orlanthi chieftain's concepts of "honor and bravery" often seem to apply more to his personal conduct in hand to hand combat, than to his choice of tactics.

The Heortlings managed to carry on a brutal "guerrilla" war against the Bright Empire long after the defeat of their army at the Battle of Night and Day. Many great heroes of the Orlanthi were reknowned for their hit-and-run tactics against foes like the Bright Empire, the EWF, and the Lunar Empire.

>The Uz herd trollkin to attack their enemies. Most of them will
>be slaughtered. This doesn't sound like Orlanthi slingers and
>scouts to me.

Orlanthi slingers? Where are you referring to? The Dragon Pass Orlanthi are not particularly big on mass slingers (I suspect the main point of slings is to hurl Thunder stones). Certainly not like the British Celts. Of course this depends on what you mean by "Orlanthi" - are you referring to Sartarites, Hendriki, Tarshites, Aggari, Talastari, East Ralians, Vesmonstranings, or who? And when? Are we talking about the great hosts that followed the ancient Kings of the Heortlings and the High Council of the Lands of Genertela into battle against the Dara Happan Empire or about the personal warband of a clan chieftain?

Jeff