More Military Matters

From: Jose Ramos <jose_at_kobo.es>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 20:30:05 +0200

        Alex makes a comparison between the Agimori and the Rathori. I must remind you of the population difference (a factor of 100, or more), and the geopolitical circunstances.

        The Rathori control a wide area of territory, and are not automatically hostile to any of their neighbours. So, if their archery prowess is known, as I suppose it is, they will receive emissaries from neighbouring Uncolings, traders and emissaries (em-Issaries?) from the Janube City States.

        As a matter of fact, I propose that this mercenaries, subjected to outsiders' influences, are the reason why the rathori are such a group of advanced hsunchen. At the same, as the conservatives remain, traditions are harder to break, and giving dissatisfied youths willing to try the mercenary trade. A vicious circle.

        And I mentioned "small". There are no rathori warbands, hiring for money. Instead, the young of several friendly tribes will gather under a known or succesful merc (10-100 strong) and go get their brideprices, or a good metal item, or whatever. Nothing like the White Companies.

        Keith "him of the random duplicates" does not see cohorts in Safelster, which I agree, nor in the KoW, which I disagree with. The KoW should, purely by mythical reasons, have at least a sample of all useful military formations, tactics and gods available in Glorantha.

        I will not discuss what is heavy or light, but I use those tems in reference to the closeness of their formations, that is related to the standing power of the troops. So Macedonian with linen cuirasses, pike and shield are heavy, while Vikings with chain mail, axe and shield are light.

Jose