Charge of the Light Rhino.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 01:27:44 +0100 (BST)

Steve Lieb says:
> Light Shock: lightly armored troops meant to engage briefly in melee, or
> pursue/destroy disorganized troops.
> Yes, I *know* a bison is heavy. But not in THIS context. "Heavy" in the
> wargame concept (at least in the one I feel is commonly held) means heavily
> armored, and capable of engaging in sustained intensive melee.

I'm familiar with this definition, but I think you have to be very cautious in applying to Glorantha, especially to Praxians. Statements such as the following:

> the lights are superior because they can choose
> the point of engagement.

and:

> tactical strength which is demonstrated in the utter disintegration of ANY
> light cav against the determined advance of heavy cav.

I don't think either of these hold true if your "heavy" cav is Karmanoi Kataphracti, and your "light" are rhino nation nomads.

I think many of your points are otherwise valid, but here the terminology is serving more to obscure than to reveal, I fear.

Slainte,
Alex.