Sorcery problems

From: Dougie Crawford <dougiepunk_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 00:54:52 +0100

Ian Thomson ponders

>I have for many years wondered about sorcery rules, and whilst I am
>sure the various options around are excellent for many people,
>somehow I don't feel satisfied.

I'm still catching up on digests so I don't know if anyone else has suggested this, but Ars Magica has IMO the best sorcery system ever produced. All sorcerers learn various Arts which can be spontainiously combined to produce whatever effect is desired (limited of course by the magicians skill in the the neccessary Arts). It's a bit easier to cast pre-memorised spells (researched by yourself or someone else/ very well known) but half the fun of the game (set in Medieval Europe) is knocking up the right spell at the spur of the moment. It's a cracking game in it's own right but I can't see any reason why it's sorcery rules can't be adapted to Glorantha.

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #252