Sartar politics etc

From: David Cake <dave_at_starfish.net.au>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 16:51:44 +0800 (WST)

        During the Extra Full Moon Year, the Lunars offer to half the taxes of any tribe that hosts a Red Goddess approved celebration of Orlanths defeat at Whitewall.

        Assuming that everyone who participates in this sort of ceremony is no longer an Orlanth initiate (or at least, is inactive and ripe for Excommunication and Impest infestation at the least, probably Flint Slinger attack as well), it has the potential to be a fairly big deal. Such decision is not to be made lightly - tribes that participate are likely to have some assistance from the Lunars in protection against Flint Slingers (and Wind Fists if the temple is defiled), plus help in setting up temples/shrines to Durbudon, and other Lunar deities.

        I have two questions, one of which I just thought of when writing the above paragraph.

        One is which tribes are likely to participate in such a ceremony? I have as likely candidates the Sylangi, the Curtali, and the Enstalos. The Locaem are known to be pro-Lunar, but I don't know enough about them to be assume they would go for it. And then in the North, there are the Dinacoli, Princeros and Vantaros, possibly even the subjugated Tres (originally anti-Lunar,but not now that Harvar has killed all of them)? I suspect that the Northern tribes will line up behind Harvar, and the large numbers of Yelamlions mean they have less to lost. So I figure that large numbers of Sylangi, Curtali and Enstalos clans will take the Lunars up on their offer, plus the Dinacoli, Princeros and Vantaros in the North, with some success among the Locaem, and the more pathetic Tres clans. Anyone want to suggest any others or argue with any of these?

        A second question is what about the Flint Slingers in all of this (and Wind Fists in some cases)? Is there a Flint Slinger apocalypse all over Sartar? Can they somehow avoid the Flint Slingers by sliding from Orlanth into Barntar (or dare I suggest Doburdun)? Or maybe the Lunars can neutralise them somehow, ambush them on the hero plane or provide powerful defensive magics?

        Hmmmm.... maybe the Flint Slingers will show up en masse to aid my loyal Orlanthi players clan against the Sylangi at some point. Or I could work them into the plot in other ways.

Ob Hero Wars - the Hero Wars rules certainly seem to encourage you to think about things at a clan/tribal level quite a bit.

	Cheers
		David