Re: Numbers and War

From: Sergio Mascarenhas <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 11:02:11 +0100

Kevin Rose:
First, facing the enemy and destroying him in a decisive battle is a Western tradition. The horse peoples have never shared that tradition and fight in ways that maximize their advantages and minimizes ther vulnerabilities. This is called cowardly, treacherous, and vicious by western armies. So they won't try to close in, at least not when you are ready. They have other options.

I recently buyed at Amazom.com and readed a book called 'The Warrior of the Stepe'. It describes the central Asia stepe nomads along two thousand years of recorded history. The author shows that the people of the stepe kept all this time a very stable culture based on horses and archery. He describes their military tactics and shows why and how they were the most stupendous war-machine for so long. I think it's a required reading for anybody developing a Pent-based campaign.

Sergio