re: scripts

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 17:45:35 -0800

Bryan Maloney asks

> It was hashed over some time ago, but I forget how it fell out. Which
> cultures write in which manners? That is, who uses which of the following
> systems:
>
> Logographic
> Logosyllabic
> Syllabic
> Consonantal Alphabetic
> Alphabetic.

There was more hash than beef -- I don't recall any consensus (though a few people agreed with each other). My personal opinion is that Western is logographic, but most other scripts are either syllabic or alphabetic (since these types of scripts are really more practical). Someone ought to use Aztec-style rebus writing (which is probably classified logosyllabic?), because it's weird and impractical -- I propose Kralorela, just to make them less Chinese.

We do know that the Dara Happans use an alphabetic script, because Greg has actually made it up* and written things in it (see Fortunate Succession). And we know that the Pelandan script isn't alphabetic, based on some comments in Entekosiad (it may well be logosyllabic).