Lunars or Russians

From: Simon Phipp <simon.phipp_at_walshwestern.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 11:11:19 +0000

Peter Metcalfe seems to be arguing against himself:

>>>The Lunars and the Yelmies are practically the same (it's like
>>>distinguishing between Russia and the Soviet Union).
>
>>I'd say there is a rather significant difference there, so I'm not
>>sure I catch your point....
>
>Not really. Tsarist Russia included Finland and Poland in addition to
>the territories held by the Soviet Union. All of this was included
>under the label of Russia. Even modern Russia includes the Chechens
>and the indigeneous Siberians. Calling those people Russians can
>cause heart attacks in your life insurers.

So, calling Chechens/Irkutzi/Bashkiri Russians is a hanging offence (actually quite true) but it's OK to call Dara happans Lunars?

Was your point that outsiders see Dara Happans as being Lunars but Dara Happans see themsleves as Dara Happans, Carmananians see themselves as Carmanians etc.? If so, then I agree 100%. In this case, the Lunar Army would be made up of Dara Happan, Carmanian etc forces with no unifying structure which would make sense. However, there could be specifically Lunar forces with no Dara Happan/Carmanian/whatever base which have been specially formed to cut across the Social Structures of the Empire. The BloodSpillers or Red Moon Corps would be examples of these, I would think.

Also, things have gotten a teensy bit agressive and nasty of late. Lay off the red meat for a couple of days and things will be wonderful again.

See Ya

Simon Phipp