Re: Cor etc.

From: George W. Harris <gharris_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 19:33:53 -0400 (EDT)

>Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 09:18:56 -0700
>From: "Richard, Jeff" <Jeff.Richard_at_metrokc.gov>
>Subject: Slander and Warbands
>
>In a nit, George "suspicious of exactly 50 states" Harris writes:
>
>>Cor, if the defenders of HW such as Nick Brooke and Simon Hibbs have
>>to resort to malicious slander and indiscriminate mudslinging when people
>>suggest that HW might not be well suited to all types of gaming, imagine
>the
>>depths of irrational invective and fabricated ad hominem attacks to which
>>they will sink when thorough and detailed criticisms of the rules are
>>finally made...
>
>Chill out George. I do not think that Nick and Simon's comments regarding
>HW can reasonably be called "malicious slander and indiscriminate
>mudslinging" - not by a mile.

        I have never expressed concern about Nick's and Simon's (and Michael Schwartz's) comments regarding Hero Wars, and I do wish that you would read my comments more carefully so that you won't make false implications of that type; what I have found disturbing is their attitude towards people who do not toe the party line that everything about Hero wars is good and great. Frex, Nick Brooke falsely accused me of deciding to hate HW sight unseen, with no supporting evidence and plenty of refuting evidence; Simon Hibbs characterized criticisms of HW by non-playtesters as "an ill-informed, spurious and grossly innacurate caricature of the actual playtest rules that exists only in their minds", and who can forget Michael Schwartz's hysterical screed against Michael Cule, Bryan Tickler and another gentleman for daring to exhibit independent thought? Those are the comments which I characterized unkindly, but I don't think anyone could reasonable defend them as temperate. I have no problem with people having opinions of game design that differ from mine, and I only wish that this characteristic of tolerance were more widely shared by subscribers to this digest.

George W. Harris                        gharris_at_mindspring.com