A moral lesson and bows

From: Jeff Richard <jrichard_at_cnw.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 20:02:49 -0700

Alex writes:
>> Orlanthi slingers? Where are you referring to? The Dragon Pass Orlanthi
are
>> not particularly big on mass slingers
>I don't think anyone said "mass" slingers, so you're objecting to a
>proposition that doesn't seem to have been advanced. Having slingers
>in large formations would be an exercise in futility anyway, I'd think,
>much better to use them in small doses as skirmishers.

I've come around to your line of thinking. I suspect that there are small sling-wielding skirmishers accompanying many Orlanthi hosts.

>> (I suspect the main point of slings is to hurl Thunder stones).
>I think that's backwards reasoning. Wouldn't it be more natural to
>assume that sling use and Thunderstones were somewhat synergistic
>in their development? Otherwise one risks advancing a proposition
>analogous to saying that Pentans only use bows so they can cast
>gonzo fire magic on them.

Isn't that true? :-) Again, I agree with you - the sling is the symbol of the Thunderstone and the Thunderstone is the symbol of the sling.

>> Of course this depends on what you mean by "Orlanthi" - are you
>> referring to Sartarites, Hendriki, Tarshites, Aggari, Talastari,
>> East Ralians, Vesmonstranings, or who? And when?
>I have no idea which, if any in particular, were being thought of
>originally. Equally, to which are you referring when you say they
>_don't_ make much use of slingers? If one wants to belabour the
>Irish analogue for the East Wilds, that'd be a non-unlikely place for
>Cuchulainn-like feats of slingstone head-splitting.

I certainly agree that the East Ralians use slings. At the same time I think that the bow is a common weapon amongst the Dragon Pass Orlanthi.  Even I get caught up with the word "Orlanthi".

>I can believe
>that many regions, particular the solar-influenced spots of Peloria
>and Dragon Pass, bows have become relatively more popular.

Bows have long been popular amongst the Dragon Pass Orlanthi - since before the Dawn. I don't think that a solar influence is involved.

>Slingstone have the advantages of being cheap, readily available,
>and Mythicly Correct, however, so I'm sure they retain a certain
>perverse appeal for many clans.

Agreed. Let this be a moral lesson for many of you digesters - notice how Alex and I had a pleasant chat and came to agreement.

Yours maliciously,

Jeff