Slings

From: Kevin Rose <vladt_at_interaccess.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 12:57:29 -0500 (CDT)

Alex wrote (I think, as it was quoted by Jeff)

> Having slingers
>in large formations would be an exercise in futility anyway, I'd think,
>much better to use them in small doses as skirmishers.

Maybe true. but it has been done.

I think the Romans used large numbers of them against the Parthians, when the Parthians attempted to invade Syria following Carrhae. They apparently worked fairly well. My understanding was the Romans would typically sit on top of a hill and let the Parthians charge up it to attack, while the slingers in the center kept up a continous fire.

I said it is hard for infantry missile troops to defeat horse archers, not that it is impossible. :)

Kevin