Garrulous wimmins Thunder (Yadda.)

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_hol.fr>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 06:05:53 +0200

Jane Williams (with passing kudos to Tom Merchant!):

> Thunderous Ladies: it looks as if we've reached general agreement that these exist,
> but are rare and regarded as Odd. Fine. Rare and odd is no problem (sounds like
> PCs to me), it was Impossible (for no reason) that was giving me trouble.

This sounds good to me!

> Though as Alex pointed out, this means
> > that "thundering" is seen as being more characteristicly "male" than"fighting",
> > which seems initially odd, but is not unsustainable by any means.
> It sounds completely weird to me, since fighting requires abilities in which men have
> an advantage (size, strength) but Thundering is straight magic. I can see the Rain
> bit possibly being fertilisation of Ernalda's fields and hence male (then why is Heler
> often seen as homo.?), but not the wind and thunder. Anyone want to explain?

Well, Alex and Jane have obviously heard my POV ad nauseam by now, but still :

Someone over on RQ Rules pointed out that, realistically, SIZ for human women in RQ ought to be something like 2D6+4 or 2D6+5 (Strength would still be worse, though).

I also have from Jean-Paul Lhuillier that the rainbow goddess is the daughter of Elmal and Heler !! (This is True!)

Also the rain can be female too, as a symbol of blood, milk, and whatnot.

Thunder is definitely linked with male fertility, but this of course is a RW mythology which doesn't necessarily have anything to do with Glorantha! I think that Alex's idea of Vingans and Orlanthi getting their Thunder powers from the Thunder Brothers is good and right, but there must be a Thunder Sister, too!

Wind would be male because of the strong link with Umath and Orlanth (no smirking, Alex!), but yes, this also might be debatable.

Basically, I have come to think that Vinga is a non-problem. Orlanthi sex roles are radically different to RW realities. They must be, because the symbols of power are distributed in 'unrealistic' patterns among the sexes.

Vingan women can be warriors and hold Storm powers because they are unlike RW women (unless they are Margaret Thatcher).

> Different Aspects of Orlanth:
> Joerg seems to have come up with a brand new name:
> > Orlanth the Youth - to avoid Warrior/Adventurous discussion
> Not bad at all.
> So, let me see. We now have Orlanth the Youth, who goes around making
> mistakes, blowing cats out of caves, picking fights, and chatting up anything in a
> skirt. Likes challenging authority, but isn't very good at it yet.
> Orlanth Adventurous, similar but tougher (is the distinction perhaps that he's nicked
> Death?), who ends up doing the LBQ and also beats up dragons, explores new
> paths, and is good at correcting the Youth's mistakes. "No-one can make you do
> anything", and "violence is always an option". Anyone can worship him as long as
> they breath air.
> Orlanth the Warrior, who stays at home and hits things, and likes sagas along the
> lines of "Erik-of-the-WotsitSpear-and-The-Shield-of-Whoever-but-no-personality". He
> mainly likes repeating OA's quests and having everything the same as before. He'd
> agree with "violence is always an option", but thinks he *can* make you do anything.
> He gets far more restrictive about who can join him (got to have Orlanthi parents)
> and thinks women should know their place and do what they're told.
> Finally Orlanth Rex sits in his throne and tells everyone what to do. Or else.
>
> You know, I'm beginning to recognise a pattern here. Put OW and OR in the Sky
> Palace and they'd be right at home. No wonder I don't like them.
>
> And that's what I'm really objecting to, for those of you who don't seem to have
> realised. The New Way Ahead, as described, seems to be wrecking not only Vinga
> but also Orlanth. The God of Freedom has become anything but.

Hearty agreement! And it's hardly New BTW, it's been around for at least six years!

Pity that it's catching ...

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #263