Re: Yelmic exile families in Sun County (Prax)

From: Roland Volz <roland_volz_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 12:25:30 PDT

Alex Ferguson says:
>Small point: there aren't "noble families" as such living in exile
>from Sartar, since even if you come from the bloodline of a >chieftain,
if one of your immediate family isn't _actually_ >chieftain, this amounts to a level of status on the order of "that >and a guilder will get you an ale". And I presume your uncle isn't >chief, otherwise why are you in exile?

My fault for not being clearer. What I meant here was one of the recently (ca. 1613) exiled Sartarite families who participated in Starbrow's Rebellion, probably a child of Kallai "Rockbuster" Korlmhysson. Admittedly, "that and a guilder will get you an ale," but not from the character's POV. Also, it builds into a Sartarite Succession subplot.

>Peloria is more of a problem, since we have less detailed info on >that
sort of level. I'd suggest simply making up a family name, and
>deciding what general sub-region they come from, unless it's vital to
>know _exactly_ where they're from.

*sigh* That's what I started to do, but I was hoping that someone had already done the work for me :)

>A conservative Orlanthi philosopher might say that all that stuff is
>Chaos, pure and simple. Some of it might _seem_ OK, but trust us,
>it's Chaos. A "liberal" one might say, well, some of it's Chaos, for
>sure, and _maybe_ some of it's not, but Orlanth can't protect or
>advise you outside his own sphere, so you really, really had better
>not risk it.

This kind of nit-picking is what got Salonar Tamaskil, author of the Book of Drastic Resolutions in trouble. I question, though, whether or not Orlanth is already geared up for this "liberal" sort of thinking, since in the published myths he's the one who comes up with something new (as do his Heros, such as Sartar, Orlaront, Alakoring, etc.)

Hail Harshax!

Roland