Lunar or Dara Happan

From: Jose Ramos <jose_at_kobo.es>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 17:06:34 +0200

        Martin reacts to my criticism of Dara Happan military traditions. First, to clear a misunderstanding, when I mentioned that some Dara Happans (and not Lunar) units were bound in ancient ritual, I was not thinking about nomads, but your own example of Avilry in Rinliddi. I am sure that persists, but so changed by the accretion of time that if they saw a bird, they would be useless (although their knowledge could give a workable unit in a few years).

        Also I differentiate the Dara Happan provincial army (where most hard line conservatives belong) and the progressive Lunar Army. As you yourself point out, the Red Army is just a small fraction of the total military capability of the Empire. They are just those trustworthy units, politically correct (in the twisted Lunar way) who can be used all around the empire.

        IMG Carmania and Dara Happa have militias and Provincial Armies bigger than the Red Army. However they are tied up in local politics, and although some units will be included temporarily (as proof of Lunar rightness, or as payment for services rendered) in the Heortland corps for a campaign, most will remain as pawns in the local power games, and as a show off of the autonomy under the Emperor. One example of this is the Queen's regiment, a privately funded carmanian regiment, which is just a toy for Yolanela's son, but that interests all sides to keep them wherever there is an armed conflict.

        So I differentiate Lunar and Dara Happan. The Lunars have a balanced army, experienced and in fighting trim, although still recovering from the Dragon. The Dara Happans have their traditional forces, filling traditional posts, and in most cases unfit for active service, just as the Lunars want them. Only in Alkoth, and in a few regiments scattered elsewhere, is preparedness taken seriously.

        The Lunar army is the place for the youth who is not made for the bureaucracy but wants to break the constraining walls of her society. That means there are a high (relatively) number of all female or mixed units, as the two main Lunar societies are repressive of their women. I wonder if the orlanthi are taken aback by this or consider it normal. "We have our Red women, they have theirs. But they must treat their wives badly, if there are so many of them."

Finally, for those that just look at the population figures, and wonder how Sartar can beat the Lunar Empire, I will remind you that 6 million Hispano-romans were conquered by two hundred thousand visigoths, and the remaining legions even fought for the visigoths against the vandals.

Of course the conquerors mix with the conquered, but we see that clearly in KoS, too.

Jose