Rathori

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 14:39:29 EDT

Alex, replying to Jose:

<< > The Rathori [...] are also present in Tastolar

 They are?>>

     There's no specific mention of this anywhere that I can find, but it wouldn't surprise me much if there are a few here and there.

<<> The nomadic nature of the rathori

 I didn't think "the average bear" was particularly nomadic. (Polar bears excepted, in more ways than one.) >>

     There are no polar bears in Glorantha, according to RQ Book 5 p30 :-(

<< Indeed, my (admittedly at best glimmering) understanding was that black bears were quite territorial. (Not sure which the predominant bear in Rathorela is, though.)>>

     I've always assumed they're grizzlies/brown bears, although there's no real reason why they can't be both - since both species ought to be found in Fronela. Female grizzlies are fairly territorial, with home ranges varying from 5-73 sq miles (14-190 sq km) depending on how much food is available. However, they may share their range with their daughters and sisters, and sometimes even granddaughters and female cousins.

     Males, however, are not especially territorial and wander across a much wider area (about twice that covered by females). No doubt this might serve as justification among some young Rathori males to become mercenaries, and then return when they're bigger, stronger and more experienced to claim a bride.*

     Black bears are similar in habits, although the ranges of the females are only about half the size and less likely to be shared with other adult females. Black bear Rathori might be less likely to produce mercenaries since they probably don't have marriage customs and therefore less need to impress women with their acheivements and fight off rival suitors (though I'm sure it helps). This is because female black bears are highly promiscuous, and even have litters with more than one sire. Who needs to chase off a suitor when you can just wait until he's nipped off hunting and leap into the den with his girlfriend?

<<Granted, no hsunchen seems to be exactly sedentary.>>

     I think some may be, but its unusual. Certainly they wander about a lot more than barbarians like the Orlanthi, since they have to cover a wider range to get food.

 << > besides their advanced religion

 In what sense is their religion "advanced"? >>

     Beats me. I suppose he might be refering to the fact that the Rathori worship a number of 'gods' alongside Rathor himself; Agikoros, Enimipol and Silent Stalker are also mentioned alongside a bunch of lesser spirits. However, in my view, this is not unusual among Hsunchen - albeit not universal.

<<> And they are called barbarians instead of primitives all over the Fronela
chapter.

 I hadn't noticed that, at all. Such as where?>>

     p13, for instance. IMO, however, they don't mean "barbarian" in the rules sense, just that that's what the other Fronelans call them. The Players Book quite specifically describes them as primitive, albeit less so than some.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky