Doburdon and knights

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 21:21:36 +1300 (NZDT)

Dougie Crawford:

>I' m sorry, but I seem to have missed something here, who in the hell is
>this Duburdan that a number of people have mentioning of late in
>relation to the Orlanthi. Is it some kind of Lunar Orlanth replacement?

Doburdon is the Thunder God of Darsen, a Satrapate in Peloria.

Me>>To argue from one or two battles that the French had no regard
>>for tactics is like using Cannae to argue that the Romans were
>>useless with respect to tactics. At Agincourt and Crecy, the
>>French did abysmally. In other battles, such as Hastings, they
>>did quite well.

>I feel bound to point out, other than there being a considerable span of
>time between Crecy/Agincourt and the battle of Hastings, that the
>Normans (Norse men) were not strictly speaking French. Under the veneer
>of French civilisation they were still very much Vikings at heart.:-)

To be perfectly honest, I view the "Normans weren't really french" as a jingoistic myth to obscure the fact that the English were beaten by the Frog on home soil. The Normans had settled in Normandy for over a century and had abjured the Shieldwall in favour of the mounted knight and took up speaking french. What other criteria does one want to prove the Normans are french?

As for the timespan, there wasn't any major change in tactics and battlefield teachnology from the adoption of the stirrup to the appearance of guns. And even then the mounted knight _survived_ until the matchlock pistol was invented.