Re: Yelmalio, Elmal, Yelm and Orlanth

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 02:51:44 +0100 (BST)

Trotsky:
> Monrogh heroquested to try and work out how both Elmal and Yelm could be the
> sun god.

Hrm. Something like that, I suppose... I'minclined to believe he had something more of an "agenda" than that, though. Such as "I'm #^%$ing fed up of playing Evil Emperor on holy days, and being beaten senseless for my pains, I'm going to _prove_ a link between them, to the benefit of our people, and those Orlanth Farts can go hang."

> What is never stated in any sources I am aware of is whether or not Elmal
> worshippers survive in the early 17th century or whether by this time they
> have all converted to Yelmalio. It would seem likely that they do survive, but
> may save headaches for the GM if he choses not have two such similar cults
> around :-)

Exactly. I think it was always Greg's intention that some Elmali existed, as he's said he was simply answering, for himself, the question "Who is the Orlanthi sun god?". But (believe it or not) found it more useful to be "constructively vague" on this topic, so as to feck up people's campaigns the less thereby, cos believe it or not, F. Greg Stafford is _not_ E. Gary Gygax[*], and shows few signs of being any sort of "One True World" bovver-boy. Even if he did, FGS's likely idea of a OTW would be one which apparently contradicted itself (or whose occupants did so, certainly) at almost every turn.

> I suspect HW will provide more definitive answers about the survival of
> Elmal's cult since one would reasonably expect 'Elmali Sun Carl' - or whatever
> the title is - to be a player character keyword if such people exist.

You might think so. I couldn't _possibly_ comment! ;-)

_Completely_ unrelatedly, though, I will make the quite tangential remark that Elmal's usual title in Orlanthi mythology is Orlanth's loyal _thane_. (*nudge*)

Slainte,
Alex.

[*] Though admittedly, the shared trait of an Initial Initial, and mutual propensity to malapropise "ascetic" is a _little_ suspicious!