Elmal and Yelmalio

From: Richard, Jeff <Jeff.Richard_at_metrokc.gov>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 19:28:49 -0700

Trotsky responds to Dana or Cynthia's questions: <<* Who did Orlanth beat up, Yelmalio or Elmal?>>
>Yelmalio. Elmal is a loyal thane of Orlanth, and looked after his stead
>while was away on the Lightbringer Quest. In the mythology, Orlanth and
Elmal
>met when they fought each other on a bridge. Both fell off, Orlanth rescued
>Elmal and they became firm friends; I don't think that counts as being
'beaten
>up'.

Another, and perhaps more important myth, is one where Orlanth and Elmal fight to determine who should serve the other. Orlanth wins and Elmal becomes his loyal thane.

Elmal is the Orlanthi Sun god. In the Darkness, Elmal provided light to the Orlanthi, although his light became dimmer and dimmer as he suffered progressively greater wounds fighting to protect the Orlanthi. When Orlanth returned with the Light with the Dawn, he gave it to Elmal to rule.

>The cult of Yelmalio is a relatively recent innovation
>amongst humans, having been founded by a bloke named Monrogh Lantern in the
>late 16th century. Yelmalio appears to have originally been an elven deity
(I
>think the actual elvish name is Halamalao) and to have been adopted after
>Monrogh heroquested to try and work out how both Elmal and Yelm could be
the
>sun god. Monrogh established the Sartarite Sun Dome Temple after receiving
>land grant from King Tarkalor and initially had considerable success in
>converting Elmali to the worship of Yelmalio.

I recommend looking at Enclosure II for a brief source about the origin of the Sun Dome temples.

>What is never stated in any sources I am aware of is whether or not Elmal
>worshippers survive in the early 17th century or whether by this time they
>have all converted to Yelmalio. It would seem likely that they do survive,
but
>may save headaches for the GM if he choses not have two such similar cults
>around :-)

Elmal has definitely survived into the 17th century. He is the Orlanthi sun.

Nick answers the same:
>> Do Elmal and Yelmalio get along?
>Not meaningfully, as they're the same entity. Do God, Yahweh and Allah get
>along? :-)

Increasingly I question whether they are the "same diety" - although perhaps the best way to put this is that to some extent Yelmalio is a circumscribed Elmal - Elmal in his Darkness role as the sole protector of the people.

Jeff