Romano-Europeans

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 11:58:22 +0100

Sergio :

>My point was that the usage of a certain word to describe a culture can
be >misleading. The particular word that started the discussion is *Orlanthi*.
>This is a polissemic word. It can be aplied to the followers of a
religion,
>those that share a given culture, those that belong to a certain
people. In
>this sense, it is apropriate to make an analogy between the word
*Orlanthi*
>and the word *European*.

But there is no European religion, nor is there a Eurpoean culture. There are many totaly different European religions such as wicca, islam, judaism, christianity and even atheism. Nor is there a single European culture, there are the basques, celts, scandanavians and slavs among many others.

>I mean, Europe is a cultural concept
>derived from the Greek and Roman cultures. The celts were never part of
it.

On the contrary, the greek concept of Europe was purely geographic. They knew of the celts and had dealings with them. Hercules ruled a celtic kingdom for much of his life, according to the myths.

If you mean Roman, why don't you just say Roman?

Simon