Red Yelm

From: Jose Ramos <jose_at_kobo.es>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 14:28:26 +0200

        After wading through Martin Laurie=B4s murdered post, and realizi= ng
how confusing my use of terminology is, let=B4s try again.

        My own image of Dara Happa, formed also by the contributions to t= he
Digest, is that the Tripolis, although staunch members of the Empire, hav= e
their own views on many matters, far from the Lunar Way. To avoid antagonizing the strong noble families and the happily conservative lodrilite peasants, this differences are not flaunted about, but the bureaucracy tries to slowly enlighten the region.

        We all agree, I hope, that the Lunar Imperial forces used in bord= er
wars, are a small fraction of the total musterable military in the Empire. They are mostly those units so integrated (with YT leadership, and a tradition of service) in the Lunar way to be trustworthy, or those so awf= ul
that they have no place in a peaceful and orderly Empire (such as the Cha= r Un).=20

        Most regions of the Empire have a long military tradition they ar= e
proud of. The Empire, in its wisdom, fosters this traditions when they ar= e
used in members of the Imperial Army, while they try to keep the satrapie= s'
armies (unless they are actively involved in war) small and ineffective. = As
to why they would do it, it is just to curtail the power of the satraps, pure and simple, as has happened throughout empires in both Gloranthan an= d
RW history.

        The Red Army should have, IMO, a character of its own, a worldly nature and a tough Esprit de Corps, that differentiates them even from lo= cal
forces from its own place of origin. Anyway, for a professional army, its quarters mean where are the recruits drawn from, not where it is statione= d,
and those that enlist in an Imperial Unit will be mostly those that are dissatisfied with their place in society.

        As the rest, we mostly agree, even if the terminology differs.

Jose