Nick on Tarsh Cults

From: Gidlows <gidlows_at_email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 19:06:28 +0100

The Cults of Tarsh are very similar to those of Sartar, but remember that Sartar is, for the modern world, a very unusual, very conservative Orlanthi society. In most Theyalan lands from Dragon Pass Northwards, I imagine than the clan rings are dominated by the forces of trade and agriculture, rather than the "adventuring life". A Tarshite clan ring would certainly have places for Barntar and the Earth Goddesses. I think Maran Gor and Babeester Gor are openly worshipped in Lunar Tarsh. The Exiles are officially neutral towards the Empire and, like everyone except militant Orlanthi, their religious views are respected. As for their function, there are dinosaur herds to be pacified in Lunar Tarsh and Earth Sacred places to be defended.

I am not familiar with the concept of a town ring. I thought the towns of Sartar were relatively new creations, not natural outgrowths of village-based Orlanthi culture. Pace Nick Brooke, the town governments of the Roman, and the Lunar Empires are pretty democratic. I would expect priest and Runelords of the Theyalan cults to be among the more powerful and influential citizens of the Towns of Lunar Tarsh. It is therefore likely that the Town Council of Dunstop, for example, would be quite similar in composition to a clan ring.