RW Celts

From: stephan <stephan_at_milam.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 23:19:19 +0100

>*beeb* wrong. Good going othervice, but the "primitive" celts invented
>chainmail, which was by far the best armor of the era. So, even if they
>often fought naked (for religious purpouses, and to show courage) their
>armour was the least primitive in the world.
> As a side note, the "advanced" romans also learned the use of soap from
>the Celts, and the original, beautifully curving, form of the Gladius is
>also taken from Celtic swords.
> Btw... these things come to a nice analogue with Orlanthi "barbarians"
>and the "civiliced" Dara Happans. We do know that old old Orlanthi myths
>talk about chainmail... don't know about soap, though :)

mmm Gladius, the best gladius's in the roman army were made in spain, a celtic country (in Roman Times at lest) longer and slimmer than the Roman made varieties, they also used Celtic made helms, the standard legionary (early/middle Imperial) helmet was also a direct copy of a celtic helm. The problem with the celts was simple, they did not think of themselves as a single people, but as their individual tribes/clans, therefore there may have been more celts in the world, but there were not more Brigantes, Rome used divide and conquer techniques, then assimilated them and learned from them while teaching them things too....

what do you call three celt in a room?

a brawl.....

this sounds very like almost all Orlanthi I have ever seen played. stephan