Re: Rathori

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 18:33:19 EDT

Jose:

<< In the "What my Uncle told me" section of the Player's Book you can see a  selection of Rathori deities. Not very different from what I would expect in Far Point, really. >>

     Not exactly, IMO. I suspect that many of these deities are spirit cults, and believe that 'pantheons' of this type are common among Hsunchen. I don't suppose that Harastos or Burrowing Toad Mother have cults in the same sense as Issaries or Humakt do; they're much closer to Frog Woman and all the other great spirits of the Wastelands. Or perhaps it might be better to look at them as sub-cults of Rathor; in rules terms the difference isn't that great.

     I'd agree that this is unlikely to be so for Silent Stalker, who is presumably a proper Hunter cult along the lines of Odayla or Foundchild. However, the 'Hsunchen Array' list includes Hunter, so presumably there's nothing odd about this. It may be that Agikoros and Enimipol are also proper cults, albeit subservient to Rathor but even if they are there is nothing like the pantheon of deities found in Sartar, but rather a much simpler, shamanic religion. Even if Agikoros and Enimipol have cults of their own, I wouldn't imagine they have anything like the social complexity of Orlanthi cults, and probably have a lot less divine magic too - at the most, similar to what Hunter grants, rather than, say, Lhankor Mhy.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

    Trotsky