B-Grade Yelmalio

From: mob <mob_at_bayswater.schnet.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 10:28:35 +0500

G'day all,

B-Grade Yelmalio

Benedict:
>As for Yelmalio's incompetence: he IS a B-list solar deity. No horses, no
>fire powers, in his greatest quest all his enemies defeat him...

Peter:

You're both right - Yelmalio does have a mythic connection with horses, but unfortunately, until relatively recently, horses were just a memory as they died out during the long period called the solitude of testing. As Nick said in v6 #159:

>Which reminds me of something Sandy and I worked over at the last German
>con: did the Sun Dome Templars of Prax preserve ancient lore telling them
>what the mythical species known as the "horse" looks like? With, perhaps, an
>old and badly-stuffed exemplar, plus some oral lore and rules-of-thumb. ("A
>horse is like a zebra, only of just one colour. Usually. Unless it has more
>than one. It is something like a unicorn, only it has no horns, and its feet
>are different. It does not breathe fire. Nor does it have wings. Usually.")

Since the founding of New Pavis and the subsequent Lunar conquest, it's been easier to keep horses again. Even so, they remain revered animals, and are only kept by a priveleged few (so that for the first time in centuries the count's ceremonial chariot is pulled by a team of horses rather than men!). The Sun Domers adapted to their fate on foot, and survived and ultimately prospered that way.

Cheers,

MOB PS I got a kick out of Ashley Munday's "Going to the Orlanth Temple" in v6 #202 ("...with that, he disappeared and Elinor awoke. The trouble was, it didn't feel like a dream.") and his excellent tale "Big Moggy, Big Trouble" in v6 #249. And Dougie - cool cameo idea in v6 #237. You guys should consider sending stuff like this to Tradetalk or Enclosure, who are always looking for gamable and entertaining material!