HW = Homework?

From: mob <mob_at_bayswater.schnet.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 10:28:41 +0500

G'day all,

HW = Homework?

Dave Cake sez of the HW 100 word essay:

>I'll expect your character on my desk tomorrow morning!
>Only high school students would think of 100 words as 'an essay' -
>well, maybe engineering students as well.

Both groups (along with computer dudes and, it seems, accountants) are a sizable portion of the RPG demographic. It's the notion of writing an "essay" that might be off-putting, I don't think the word length will mollify people who approach creative writing with trepidation. Just as my bowels would turn to jelly and my brain freeze solid if I was required to, say score a short piece of music and present it in front of my peers, esp if some were practised musicians.

But I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm saying it should be kept on the promotional sidelines as an adjunct to the basic system, lest HW be unfairly and innaccurately known around the traps as "the game where you've gotta write a fucking essay before you can play". I've had experienced Gloranthsters go weak at the knees at the thought of having to make up stuff when they play one of my MGF tournaments (eg. "Rune Metal Jacket"), and that is a lot more directed than the HW model - frex, in RMJ all I ask players to do is write things their character is better than the average hoplite, three things they're worse at, three things everyone knows about, three things no one knows, etc. Even some experienced consters have baulked at this (but I'm not attempting to turn RMJ into a world-wide hit with mass appeal).

>The interesting thing, really, is why school students don't think
>of RQ and similar games as 'that games where you have to do a set of maths
>problems before you can play'.

Unless you're playing Powers & Perils, the maths is generally pretty simple, and masked by putting your fate in the luck of the dice. Most kids love rolling dice, and the answers they give are pretty obvious and telling (ie. a STR of 17 is obviously stronger than a STR of 10).

>I agree with MOB though, the 100 word system is great, but that its
>optional is even better.

Right on!

Notch-yet

Alex, Defender of Orthography sez:

>Yet more people write:
>
>> Notchet
>
>Once again I'm compelled to point out that the "t", whilst not silent,
>is in fact, non-existent.

For the scoop on how to correctly pronounce "Nochet" and how the word originated, see the first "Notes from Nochet" article in Tales #4 (or in "Best of Tales #1-#9", when it comes out)

Cheers,

MOB

MICHAEL O'BRIEN
  Research Associate, Bayswater Primary School   Learning Technologies Navigator School, Bayswater, Victoria, Australia   Telephone: +61-3-9721-3755 Fax: +61-3-9720-8986   <mob_at_bayswater.schnet.edu.au>
  MOB's Glorantha Page: http://gateway.bayswater.schnet.edu.au:81/~mob/

  9 Parker Street, Richmond 3121, Victoria, Australia   Home Telephone: +61-3-9428-9048