Rubbish.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 02:32:17 +0100 (BST)

David Clegg gives vent to the following:
> Political correctness is in my opinion too pervasive. It is refreshing for
> me to see a man who when he thinks he sees some rubbish, he has the balls to
> call it rubbish.

OK David, since you're a connoisseur of "debate" of this sort, I have to say your _entire_ post, of which I have quoted but this small part, is _complete_ rubbish. If you'd prefer a fuller description of just how much tosh was contained within, please contact me under separate cover, lest I be "Eric'd".

Perhaps it would be momentarily amusing if everyone on the list played "Knight of Swords" with everyone else's posts, bereft of the politeness and (however feeble) attempts at humour you're so contemptuous of. But it would _not_ be a good thing so far as productive discussion is concerned, and it might worsen the marginal rate of gastric ulcers and high systolic BP of the list as a whole while one was about it. (Let's face it, we're not getting any younger.) The simple fact is that people will either feel intimidated by overly aggressive-seeming posts, or will respond in kind (escalatingly, I think you will often find from Digests, Ibid), or will merely be bored and/or cheesed off by the whole process, as many may be doing even as they read this exchange. What purpose does that ultimately serve?

ObOnTopic: no, My Glorantha is not a "PC" place. (Whatever is meant by that phrase, which is surely the height of intellectual laziness if anything ever was.) People are not particularly "nice" to each other there, not by a long chalk. Then again, Glorantha is not a usenet mailing list. OK, that was an _extremely_ feeble attempt at ontopicness, I admit it -- I crave your collective indulgence and promise that my next 99 messages will be on Glorantha, as I hope my last 99 messages largely were.